Thursday, June 25, 2009

Happy 6 Years: Or a History of a Couple of (Un) Romantics

Sunday was our 6 year Anniversary. True to form, we didn't really celebrate it. It was Father's Day after all, plus-what would we have done on a Sunday anyway? When I originally wanted to do this post (which I thought about a long time, I plan posts-so what?) I realized that we have a long and illustrious career of not actually celebrating our anniversary on the day, forgetting,etc.

So lets take a trip down memory lane for a couple of the good, bad, and forgotten anniversaries...


June 21, 2003. Truly the best day of my life, a almost perfect day (marred only by the horrible LA traffic) with the totally perfect guy.


Year One: This isn't a picture of us on our actual anniversary, which is sad because our first year it was actually pretty awesome. Tom took me to the Roof (a restaurant on the top floor of the Joseph Smith Building in Salt Lake). The food was good and the view was great. Then we stayed the night in a nice hotel and went to Lagoon the next day. He planned it all and it was a surprise so I thought it was so fun and we had a great time. The reason for no pictures-we were terrible at remembering our camera back then-though that's not always different from now.


This picture is from the day of our anniversary. Samantha was 3 months old, we'd just come home from the big family reunion on my mom's side, and she was in town. I had work, Tom had work and school. We didn't do anything. Tom had BYU's Campus Craft and Floral flowers delivered to me. I remember saying out loud to my mom-oh crap, it is our anniversary and I totally forgot. We did go on a date 3 weeks later that Tom's mom babysat for that we deemed the anniversary date. It was dinner at Ruby River and a movie (I think a Spiderman movie?)

An awesome year, definitely a great one. We'd been living in Virginia for a month, I had picked up all the brochures of fun things to do when we moved there, among them parasailing. So we went down to Virginia Beach and parasailed. Samantha was strapped into me. She was 15 months at the time. The man in the boat said that he'd taken younger than her, but never on water so choppy. It was choppy for sure. It was amazing and Samantha loved it. I loved it, Tom loved it, it was great.


We got married June 21. 4 years later my sister and her husband got married on June 23. We traveled with our two kids (Tommy 7 weeks old) across the country on our anniversary to get to the wedding. The flight attendant made an announcement to wish another couple "Happy 25 years" and Tom and I looked at each other and said "Oh my gosh, yeah, Happy Anniversary sweetheart" I'm pretty sure we went out a couple of weeks later (thanks to Angie F.) but I'm not sure.

Year 5 is totally on me for being an anniversary fail. I knowingly went to Utah to attend a very good friends (Carol's) wedding on....June 21. It was the first time I'd ever left my kids for overnight with Tom by himself. He was AMAZING of course and took them to the park, library, swimming, etc. I had the time of my life with old college roommates. It was totally weird and I was only gone 2 nights and one full day but I was happy to be home. Tom made sure there was at least a memento of our anniversary because unbeknownst to me he slipped some money into his mom's luggage, which she found and bought the flower bouquet picture below. Isn't he a sweetheart?!? Several weeks later we went out to see "Get Smart" and my mom watched the kids while she was visiting AZ. We decided that was the anniversary date.



This year we haven't done anything yet, I already gave him his present. The year is Candy/Iron so I got him a table saw (iron in it) and a huge pack of candy. I don't know what he's gotten me because I haven't gotten it :)-he hasn't had time to go shopping. Katie is here and if, and only if, it was food poisoning and not the stomach flu then she'll babysit for a date tonight. Considering it's only 4 days after the fact-I think we're doing great!

I love Tom so much. The end.

3 comments:

Tiffani Mills said...

I think you guys are doing good! You dont have to celebrate on the actual day! - or so that is what works for us or we would never even acknowledge- haha! Happy Anniversary! The parasailing- oh my gosh!! I can't believe they let you take Samantha- glad she and you loved it!! I wont tell you my scary stories with that- haha!

Megan said...

congratulations! I think that if you at least remember that its the day, you're doing good...and as far as celebrating...our anniversary is always during April checkouts...its hard to celebrate then.

Shelly said...

Ha ha! Happy anniversary. I've been with you for two of them (well, couting the first wedding day) so maybe you and I should start celebrating since it seems we're together more than you and Tom.