Sunday, October 18, 2009

Give me Liberty or Give me Death!

The above quote is by Patrick Henry and always sends a thrill through me. I spent yesterday seeing the sites in Lexington (or maybe just Concord). It was so fun and maybe my favorite day so far. First we went through the most gorgeous scenic drive. The colors were just beyond beautiful and I enjoyed it so much.

Then we went to the Minutemen Visitor Center and watch a wonderful presentation about the first shots fired in the Revolution. We saw the monument for "The Shot Heard Round the World." and then we went and saw the house that Louisa May Alcott lived in!!!! You may know her, she wrote Little Women!!!! That was so fun and I had the greatest desire to go running through the woods with abandon in the true spirit of "Jo"

We also got to see Walden Pond, the place where Henry David Thoreau spent 2 years "living simply and deliberately" It also was beyond description in terms of beauty and so fun to visit. I have a little historical crush on him, the stuff I read my sophomore year in high school really affected me. I pretty much love all of his quotes, but I'll just share one with you.

"If you build castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."

The monument for "the shot heard round the world" (The first shots of the American revolution -we're not sure why the ones in Lexington didn't count, probably because we don't know which side it came from)
Here are the words on a monument there.
(One of) the houses that the Alcott Family lived in.

My "little woman"

Sitting at Henry David Thoreau's desk (or a replica)
Tom with his homeboy, H.D.T.
Walden Pond

And then Erin and Eric watched Eliza for us while we went to the temple. It was so fun and special to go to a new one!

Eliza stole poor Rebecca's bottle-what a mean cousin!


Eliza's digging her cousin's age-inappropriate toys, so cute.

2 comments:

Amie said...

The Louisa May Alcott house?? Awesome!

The McLaws Family said...

What a great trip, can't wait to hear all about it!