So I am one lucky girl. It starts out with the not lucky part-we came home from Utah after a LONG drive in the car Tuesday. Then the next day Tom innocently goes to work, not knowing that he will be there from 7:00 AM until midnight. Apparently the entire project went down the tubes while he was gone and he and his team needed to work furiously to meet deadlines. Then the next day he stayed until 8:00 at night so it was rough for him. And...it was rough for me. The kids were coming off of the vacation high (you mom's know what I'm talking about) and then I just had them and it was hard. We were all a little frazzled by weeks end.
So, the lucky part. Tom asked his wonderful, fabulous, nice, lovely, awesome brother and his wife to babysit the kids for us and stay the night at our house so we could have a little weekend get-away together. It was so nice, and so much fun. Tom acted all shocked that it was my first night away from Eliza but I don't know what he was possibly thinking. I've spent 5 nights away from my kids total in the 4+ years I've been a parent and 2 of those 5 nights were hospital stays for my kids births so that hardly counts. Anyway, it was fabulous. I can't believe how much of a vacation it feels like to go do that. It was so nice of Paul and Sarah, it was wonderful of Tom and I had the best time. I didn't take any pictures but I can describe our date using images illegally obtained from the internet.
We went to a restaurant here:
The food was mediocre but WHO CARES! I didn't make it, I didn't have to clean up. I didn't have to bribe anyone to eat anything. No one threw forks on the floor, I wasn't embarrassed by the mess we left, I ate my own dinner without having to share, there was no whining-it was GREAT!
Then we saw this:
And it was fabulous. I thought it was very good. I love this new director (I think he did the last one, and will do the last two movies as well) It was funny and emotional and did the best job paring down the huge book that it could do.
Then we stayed here:
And swam here:
Notice how it's a sandy beach-I thought that was cool. It was called the Firesky Resort and I highly recommend it to anyone local or staying in AZ (though if you're staying in AZ you're invited to stay at my house :)).
It was so relaxing to spend a night away from the kids. To not have to get the kids ready for bed is such a treat!
Then the next morning we ate here:
And I think it's a step up from Denny's/IHOP. I'd never been but I thought their food was really quite good.
And then we stopped here for a little treat for Paul and Sarah, and a treat for ourselves (because it's never too early in the morning for a cupcake)
It was fun, it was fabulous. And despite what this post makes it sound like I do love my kids and enjoy taking care of them, but MAN it was nice to take a break-you all understand right? And, I have the best husband ever!
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
I'm a Lucky Girl (a story told through illegal photographs)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Oh, I'm so jealous! I've never spent the night away from Nora, and I've only spent 2 non-hospital nights away from Lillian. And, I totally get that you love your kids, we all know that.
Wow...how fun to spoil yourselves!
oops... I didn't realize that Mike hadn't signed out.
How fun!!! You do have a wonderful hubby, and nobody is questioning whether you love your kiddos; everyone needs a break! Hooray!
That sounds awesome! How fun- I am jealous!
I have been meaning to tell you 2 funny things about Samantha that she said while you were gone. First, Paul, Samantha, and I were singing the Arthur theme song and at the end I said, "wow we are so good at that," and she said, "yeah but I'm better." We were laughing so hard. Secondly, she asked me how my baby got into my tummy but I just told her that's a good question for mommy. I was tempted to break it to her...you know, practice on your child before I have to tell my own, but then I wasn't sure how you would feel about that.
I'll tend for your next get-away! This was a great post. Loved the illegal pictures. Love, Mom
Post a Comment